The Radmalls

The Radmalls

Friday, January 30, 2015

Potty Trained

When Payton was 22 months I swore that she was showing all the signs of being ready to be potty trained.  Honestly, I just wanted to be done buying and changing diapers.  I know that it is possible to potty train that young, but it REALLY depends on the kid.

Anyways, I did a ton of research and read a lot of potty training books and decided that it wouldn't be that bad.  Oh my gosh.  I was so wrong.  It was the worst week of my life.  I spent 5 days straight sitting on the wood floor, cleaning up messes, and trying to find things to distract Payton to sit on the potty long enough to go.  After 5 days of no progress I decided to just give up.  I didn't want it to be traumatizing for her when we tried it again and I honestly couldn't handle any more of it.

So a week ago I decided to try it again.  She was definitely more ready then the last time, but she still didn't mind running around in a poopy diaper.  I was a little nervous that I was forcing it again, but I really didn't want to have 2 kids in diapers and have to attempt potty training with a newborn.  So I gave it a second try.  

This time was SOOOO much easier.  Don't get me wrong.  It still sucks.  I felt like a prisoner in my home for a whole week straight, but she did awesome.  We actually spent the whole first half of the first day teaching her doll how to go.  She didn't get out of a diaper until after her nap.  I read a lot of blogs and books about using a doll and heard great things about it.  I don't know if it is the doll that helped her potty train so quickly or something else but I will do it with all my kids. 

Most importantly though....I will never try to push a time line on my kids to potty train.  They will potty train when they are ready.  And trust me it was so much easier the second time around.  



It's hard to tell in this picture but she is wearing her Elsa dress, Frozen slippers, her kitchen apron and chef hat.  This girl loves to dress up.



No comments:

Post a Comment