The Radmalls

The Radmalls

Monday, April 21, 2014

Who Knew You Could Paint a Tub?

What girl doesn't LOVE taking baths?  Our bath has been an eye sore from day one


 and this is what I have set my heart on as a replacement.


But until we save up some money I wanted to do a cheap fix.  So I did some pinterest research (I don't know what I would do without pinterest) and found this product


It is an epoxy spray paint used to refinish tubs and tile.  Most everything you need comes in the kit except for eye googles and a mask to protect you from the fumes.  It is quite strong.  

So along with those materials I needed:


Tape and drape (I highly recommend this product for any painting project)
Painting tape 
Screw driver to remove tub hardware
Razor blade

Step 1: Remove hardware and use razor blade to scrape off grout around tub


Step 2: I didn't get a picture of this but the most tedious step is cleaning the tub.  The kit comes with the cleaner and materials but it takes FOREVER.  You have to go through the process 3 times and completely dry the tub every time.  It helps prepare the material on the tub for the paint to stick.

Step 3: Tape everything around the tub off.  There is a lot of overspray.




Step 4:  Apply coat one and let dry for 20-30 minutes.  You can see how uneven the coat is in this picture after just the first coat.


Coat Two


Coat Three



And after waiting about 5 days for the paint to cure we finally have a white tub.

BEFORE


AFTER


So the after still isn't even close to what I want but at least it is an improvement.  
Next on the list is to get rid of the old school speckled tile using the same type of product.

1 comment: